[ A+ ] / [ A- ]

It is important to always be aware of your surroundings.

Unfortunately while on vacation your focus my be more towards enjoying yourself and seeing the sights. Be cautious while traveling and be aware of what is going on around you. A little vigilance may prevent a ruined vacation or worse.

Here are some tips to help you have a safe and enjoyable holiday.
  • Know where you are and where you are going at all times. Carefully plan road trips in advance.
  • Do not pick up hitchhikers.
  • Keep valuables out of sight, and never leave them in a parked vehicle.
  • Leave a copy of your itinerary and proof of citizenship (for example, Canadian birth certificate or certificate of Canadian citizenship) with a family member or friend who can be contacted in an emergency.
  • Phone home regularly if you do not have a fixed schedule.
  • Keep a separate record of your travellers’ cheques, credit cards and medical insurance, and ensure that the information is also available to someone back home.
  • Do not carry your passport, tickets, identification documents, cash, credit cards and insurance papers together. Keep them separate so that in the event of theft or loss you do not lose everything.
  • Use the safety deposit box at your hotel. Never leave valuables in your room.
  • In certain cases, you may wish to register with Foreign Affairs Canada as a Canadian Abroad:
    • You are going to be abroad for three months or more.
    • You will be spending any time in a country, or a specific area within a country, that is covered by an official Travel Warning.
    • You will be visiting a country for less than three months that has security concerns and/or does not have a resident Canadian government office.
      they will be travelling to a hurricane-prone region during the hurricane season (June 1st to November 30th).
  • In co-operation with the Consular Affairs Bureau in Ottawa, Canadian diplomatic offices provide a range of services to assist you during your visit.
    The services include:

    • advice and support in the event of accident, crime or illness
    • communication with relatives and friends
    • assistance during natural disasters
    • support and assistance in the event of a death
    • identification of sources of information on local laws, regulations and facilities;
    • in the event of an arrest, seeking equitable treatment, informing relatives and friends, and assistance in making arrangements for a lawyer; in the event of a conviction, assistance in applying for
    • transfer to Canada under the Transfer of Offenders Treaty
    • making arrangements for friends and relatives to transfer funds in emergencies
    • interventions with local authorities
    • notarial services such as legalization and certification of documents (a fee is charged for these services)
    • assistance in locating missing persons
    • emergency passport services
    • citizenship services

Services are available during normal business hours from the Canadian diplomatic office nearest your location abroad.

More information about travelling safely
Visit the Canadian Government’s Travel Page.

Read the Canadian Government Country Travel Advice and Advisories.

To register with with the Canadian Government during your time abroad, go to this page.

Consular emergency services

Emergency services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. After normal business hours, calls to Canadian diplomatic offices in the United States are automatically forwarded to our office in Ottawa. In an emergency, you can also make a collect call to Foreign Affairs in Ottawa at (613) 996-8885.

For more information contact:

Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada

For consular assistance and emergency consular services:

Tel.: (613) 996-8885
Fax: (613) 995-9221
or (613) 943-1054

For travel information:

Tel.: 1-800-267-6788 in Canada or (613) 944-6788
Fax: 1-800-575-2500 in Canada or (613) 944-2500

For publications:

Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada produces a number of publications on safe travel, free of charge. Call 1-800-267-8376 (in Canada) or (613) 944-4000.